This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7222 / 50°43'19"N
Longitude: -3.5311 / 3°31'52"W
OS Eastings: 292015
OS Northings: 92511
OS Grid: SX920925
Mapcode National: GBR P0.Q5VG
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.G51
Entry Name: The Deanery
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88935
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9192 NE 2/132 29.1.53.
SX 9292 NW 3/132
SX 9192 SE 5/132
SX 9292 SW 6/132
On the site of Nunnery of St Augustine, but re-built as Deanery probably C15. Chapel
of this date, much restored. Great Hall, at south-west end, is now 2 storeys stone
building with round-headed windows. These contained C18 Peckett glass, but were
badly damaged 4 May 1942. Lower room is C16 or early C17 with contemporary panelling,
plaster frieze and ceiling. Dining room fireplace was removed here from demolished
house called the Chantry. North-east end of house largely modern. Built in a
variety of materials with red brick and Heavitree stone walls and slate and tile
roofs. C15 Great Hall has an arch-braced timber roof in 4 bays; Minstrels gallery.
Other good features of C16, C17 and C18, all restored 1973.
All listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9203492514
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings