This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7907 / 50°47'26"N
Longitude: -3.1431 / 3°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 319521
OS Northings: 99636
OS Grid: SY195996
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.ZHK4
Mapcode Global: FRA 4790.39J
Entry Name: Offwell School
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88783
Location: Offwell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Offwell
Built-Up Area: Offwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Offwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL
3/113 Offwell School
School. Built in 1840 by the Reverend Edward Copleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean
of St Pauls. Blocks of squared flint laid to courses with Beerstone detail (the
west end wall is plastered and so too might have been the rest originally); stone
stack with a Beerstone ashlar narrow octagonal chimneyshaft; slate roof, maybe
Plan: small 1-room plan school built up on a terrace above the road and facing
south. Front doorway with porch at the right (east) end. A second room across the
back in an integral leanto and behind that a secondary cloakroom. The school is
single storey. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 2-window front of tall Beerstone mullion and
transom window with hoodmoulds. The gabled porch at the right end has a 2-centred
outer arch with a ribbon plaque above inscribed as follows: "The fear of the Lord
is the beginning of Wisdom". The front doorway itself is a plainer 2-centred arch
and it contains a plank door. The roof is gable-ended with shaped kneelers and
coping. The left gable is surmounted by the chimneyshaft and the right gable is
surmounted by a gabled bellcote. The right (east) end contains 2 more mullion and
transom windows with hoodmoulds, the right one (to the leanto) is smaller. Above
the larger left one is a plaque containing a bishops head in a quatrefoil panel and
its hoodmould has carved human head label stops. There is another similar carved
plaque in the left end.
Interior: not inspected.
In front of the school the terrace is revetted by a flint rubble wall with plain
coping surmounted by C20 railings. The gate posts are Beerstone ashlar; they are
square in section with pyramid caps.
The school forms a group with other listed buildings in the centre of Offwell, most
of them built by Bishop Copleston.
Listing NGR: SY1952199636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings