This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7983 / 50°47'54"N
Longitude: -3.1603 / 3°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 318321
OS Northings: 100505
OS Grid: ST183005
Mapcode National: GBR LY.Z55M
Mapcode Global: FRA 468Z.GMG
Entry Name: Bishops Tower
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88774
Location: Offwell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Offwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Offwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 SE OFFWELL HONITON HILL
1/104 Bishops Tower
Folly tower. Circa 1843 at the cost of the Reverend E. Copleston, Bishop of
Llandaff and Dean of St. Pauls. Local stone rubble with rusticated grey-coloured
limestone quoins and ashlar detail, the stone is facing brick. Italiante style. 6-
storey high viewing tower facing south-east with a semi-hexagonal newel stair turret
projecting from the left (south-west) side up to third floor level. All the rooms
are heated by a rear lateral stack. On the front there is a single casement with
glazing bars on ground floor and first floor levels. There is a dripcourse right
round the building at second floor level and a large round-headed double arch with
imposts and keystone. The window contains Y-tracery glazing bars and there is a
stone balcony on shaped brackets. There is another similar window on the right
(north-east) side. Above is a narrow round-headed lancet and there are more on the
other walls. The top of the tower is machicolated with a series of shaped corbels.
Around the top is a balcony of ornate wrought iron railings. On the top is a small
square block, open each side with imposts and keystones. It too has machicolated
top with an ornate wrought iron parapet and it is surmounted by a wrought iron
weathervane. The interior is plainly finished.
This tower was erected partly to provide local employment but also, it is said, that
Bishop Copleston might view his diocese of Llandaff across the Bristol Channel. The
bishop is responsible for a lot of new building in Offwell around the 1840's.
Listing NGR: ST1832100505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings