This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6965 / 50°41'47"N
Longitude: -3.1589 / 3°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 318242
OS Northings: 89184
OS Grid: SY182891
Mapcode National: GBR PB.MQLB
Mapcode Global: FRA 4787.H53
Entry Name: Higher House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88683
Location: Branscombe, East Devon, Devon, EX12
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Branscombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Branscombe St Winifred
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 18 NE BRANSCOMBE
7/11 Higher House Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins, C17 improvements, extensively refurbished in the
late C18-early C19, modernised circa 1980. Exposed local Salcombe stone and flint
rubble; stone rubble stacks, one disused, the other topped with C19 brick; slate
roof, formerly thatch:
Plan and development: originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan farmhouse facing
south-south-west, say south. At the left (west) end is the unheated inner room.
The hall has an axial stack backing onto the site of the former passage and a newel
stair rises in front of the stack. In the C20 the partition between hall and inner
room was removed and the 2 rooms were united. At the right (east) end the service
end kitchen has a gable-end stack. Here too there is a newel stair alongside the
stack. In the C20 the lower passage partition was removed to enlarge the former
kitchen and the passage rear doorway was blocked.
The layout of the house suggests its C16 origins but there is no definitely C16
feature left. The fireplaces, windows and 1 surviving early beam are early C17.
In the late C18-early C19 the house was thoroughly refurbished and most early
carpentry detail including the roof was replaced at this time. House has been 2
storeys since the early C17. C20 outshots to rear.
Good exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front. All are early C17
Salcombe ashlar windows with hollow-chamfered mullions. Only a couple have missing
mullions. The ground floor windows have hoodmoulds and there is a tiny light to the
hall stair. The passage front doorway is a plain ashlar opening and it now contains
a late C19 6-panel door. Roof is gable-ended.
Interior is mostly the result of the late C18 - early C19 refurbishment as
modernised in the C20. The hall has a plastered rubble fireplace with plain
chamfered oak lintel. It is of indeterminate date. The service end kitchen
fireplace is stone rubble with a chamfered and scroll-stopped oak lintel and it
includes a large oven. the only early beam (across the back of the hall stack) is
also chamfered with scroll stops. The rest of the carpentry detail is late C18 -
early C19 including the A-frame roof trusses with pegged and spiked lap-jointed
Listing NGR: SY1824289184
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings