This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6805 / 50°40'49"N
Longitude: -3.3989 / 3°23'55"W
OS Eastings: 301264
OS Northings: 87689
OS Grid: SY012876
Mapcode National: GBR P4.8ZL3
Mapcode Global: FRA 37R8.ZL2
Entry Name: Parsonage House
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88637
Location: Woodbury, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Woodbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woodbury with Exton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 08 NW WOODBURY GREENWAY, Woodbury
2/124 Parsonage House (formerly listed
11.11.52 as The Parsonage)
Substantial detached house, formerly the parsonage. Built 1849 for Rev J L
Fulford, by John Hayward, Diocesion architect, incorporating material from the
medieval tithe barn and parsonage. Snecked Salcombe Regis stone and sandstone,
with some volcanite trap; 2-span gabled-end slate roof. Double depth plan house,
with entrance hall flanked by reception rooms, the staircase occupying the left-
hand section of the rear range. Left-hand external end stack; front and rear
external lateral stacks towards right-hand end, each with paired off-sets. 2
Front: irregular 4-window range; all windows square-headed, the lights pointed and
cusped, those to the 1st floor of 2- and 3-lights; ground floor with a paired set
of 2-light windows to either side of entrance, and a 2-light window placed in
external stack, all under hood moulds. Moulded arch to entrance.
Left-hand end elevation: with 2-light pointed window with transom lighting
stairwell, and a later single-light window to front range. Right-hand side
elevation: two 3-light windows to 1st floor, with hood moulds; 3 uncusped windows
to ground floor.
Rear: irregular fenestration reusing medieval windows presumably taken from old
parsonage; two 2-light windows, square-headed, each light pointed and cusped, to
each floor, with a small square single light window in addition to 1st floor and a
C20 window added to ground floor. Slated leanto.
Interior: contemporary joinery intact including panelled doors and dog-leg
staircase; acanthus plaster cornice to main rooms. Some painted glass initials in
head light tracery.
References: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981), pp.51-4,
238. Rev J L Fulford's sketch and rough plan of the medieval parsonage is in the
possession of the present occupier, and is reproduced in Mrs Brighouse's book, p51.
Reference to architect in DRO, Faculty Petitions.
Listing NGR: SY0126487689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings