This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6632 / 50°39'47"N
Longitude: -3.4305 / 3°25'49"W
OS Eastings: 298989
OS Northings: 85812
OS Grid: SX989858
Mapcode National: GBR P3.QWLX
Mapcode Global: FRA 37PB.5BM
Entry Name: Nutwell Lodge Hotel
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88607
Location: Woodbury, East Devon, Devon, EX8
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Woodbury
Built-Up Area: Exton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woodbury with Exton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 NE WOODBURY EXMOUTH ROAD (east side)
1/100 Nutwell Lodge Hotel (formerly
11.11.52 listed as Upper Nutwell House)
Public house, formerly a dwelling. C18 remodelling of an earlier building.
Blocked stucco; hipped and gabled-end slate roof. Possibly a 3-room, cross passage
plan house: a right-hand external end stack may have heated the service end, a rear
lateral stack now partially obscured by later additions, the hall; an axial stack
towards the left-hand end is a later insertion. Rear wing with end stack; all with
brick shafts, the axial stack plastered. The internal arrangements at ground floor
level are too altered to confirm the plan type. Upper floor and roof space not
inspected. 2 storeys.
Front: (facing Exmouth Road): regular 6 window range with dentilled cornice that
returns on right-hand elevation. 1st floor and ground floor identically
fenestrated with 4 large and 2 small 2-pane horned sash windows. Later, lower 2-
storeyed extensions have been added to left, and forward of the building, since it
was originally listed in 1952.
Rear: late C19 conservatory to rear of wing; single-storey extension, perhaps
originally a billiards room, with large 12-pane hornless sash windows, separately
roofed. Rear entrance does not look to be in situ; porch with 2 Tuscan columns and
pilasters, with entablature.
Listing NGR: SX9898985812
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings