This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6497 / 50°38'58"N
Longitude: -3.4299 / 3°25'47"W
OS Eastings: 299008
OS Northings: 84309
OS Grid: SX990843
Mapcode National: GBR P3.RWSS
Mapcode Global: FRA 37PC.CKK
Entry Name: Greenhill and Higher Greenhill
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88507
Location: Lympstone, East Devon, Devon, EX8
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Lympstone
Built-Up Area: Lympstone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lympstone Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 SE LYMPSTONE BURGMANN'S HILL, Lympstone
5/7 Greenhill and Higher Greenhill
A pair of dwellings built to give the appearance of a single, large, symmetrically-
fronted house. Circa 1800. Brick in Flemish bond, stuccoed to sides; hipped slate
roof concealed behind parapet. Double-depth plan with 2 shallow rear wings; the
larger of the 2 houses (Greenhill) ocupies the 3 bays to the right, and is heated by
2 internal end stacks; Higher Greenhill is heated by another pair of stacks that
rise above the party wall. The staircases are positioned to the left-hand side of
each house (i.e. against the outside wall in Higher Greenhill, and the party wall in
Greenhill). 3 storeys and basement.
Front: symmetrical, 5 bays, under castellated parapet. 2nd floor windows with 6-
pane hornless sashes; 1st floor windows with 12-pane hornless sashes; all with brick
window arches. Ground floor windows, round-headed, the surrounds of 2 orders, the
outer order with small stone capitals; 12-pane hornless sashes to each. Central
porch, large, with a barrel "vault", and traceried tympanum; doorway surround
treated like the ground-floor windows; door with fielded panels and contemporary
knocker. Sash windows to basement.
Right-hand side occupied by a 2-storey extension, with parapet, set well back from
line of main front with one 6-pane hornless sash window to 1st floor, and a sash
window to ground floor, 3 panes up, 6 below.
Left-hand side with C20 porch, the door with coloured glass margin panels.
Rear: all except ground floor is slate hung; two 2nd-floor windows, round-headed
with Gothick tracery; tall stairwell window with 12-pane hornless sash to Greenhill;
4- and 16-pane sash windows elsewhere. The rear extensions have been much altered
and enlarged in the late C20.
Interior: reeded architraves to doors and fire surrounds (except ground floor fire
surrounds which have been replaced); panelled doors and internal shutters; fine open
well staircases to both houses rise through 3 floors, wreathed rail (that to
Greenhill of oak with inlaid walnut) and stick balusters.
Listing NGR: SX9900884309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings