This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8003 / 50°48'1"N
Longitude: -1.0943 / 1°5'39"W
OS Eastings: 463923
OS Northings: 100478
OS Grid: SU639004
Mapcode National: GBR VQJ.0W
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.9JC
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104269
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474585
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St George
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU6300 EDINBURGH ROAD
774-1/8/11 (North side)
10/01/53 Cathedral Church of St John the
Roman Catholic cathedral. 1877-81 by J Crawley; 1881-96 by J
Hansom; 1906 by Canon Alexander Scoles; restored following
bomb damage 1945-50; re-ordered 1971. Red brick in Flemish
bond with Portland stone dressings; plain tile roof. Decorated
PLAN: 6-bay nave with clerestory; 6-bay aisles, western bays
canted, north aisle with apsidal chapel (1925) new baptistry;
west portal and 2 bell turrets (1906); crossing with transepts
(1886); chancel with apse, north and south chapels, and south
EXTERIOR: offset plinth; strings; eaves bands; gableted
buttresses with offsets rising into gableted and crocketed
finials; traceried windows, mostly of 2-lights with 3-light
windows to clerestory and some spherical triangle windows, all
having hoodmoulds and sill strings (tracery of all but south
transept window restored 1945-50); board doors with decorative
iron hinges in pointed-arched surrounds of several orders with
carved tympana; brick parapet to nave, pierced ashlar parapet
to chancel, similar blind parapet to baptistry; cross finials.
West end: portal has elaborate central door in projecting
gableted surround flanked by 3-light windows: a door to each
return; nave has tripled 2-light windows, stepped spherical
triangle over, flanked by octagonal bell towers with slit
windows, louvred belfry openings, spires, and metal finials.
South transept has a blind arcade below round window with
spherical triangle to gable. 5-light window to north transept.
Decorative metal gate in front of chancel south door.
INTERIOR: pointed arched arcades and openings having clustered
columns with decorative leafy capitals. Vaulted wooden
ceilings with moulded ribs, pierced bands, and cusped trusses;
plainer roofs to aisles. Good quality fittings include marble
altar and reredos to Lady Chapel, tessellated chapel floors
and free standing stations of the cross.
(Balfour A: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, N19: 1970-: 57, 58;
Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 129, 130; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth:
1973-: 431, 432; Hubbuck R: Portsmouth: 1969-1976: 21; Offord
J: Church, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island:
Southsea: 1989-: 102, 103, 104).
Listing NGR: SU6610802158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings