This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8044 / 50°48'15"N
Longitude: -1.0771 / 1°4'37"W
OS Eastings: 465126
OS Northings: 100946
OS Grid: SU651009
Mapcode National: GBR VT7.S9
Mapcode Global: FRA 86MZ.45S
Entry Name: 247, Fratton Road
Listing Date: 25 September 1972
Last Amended: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474594
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU6500 FRATTON ROAD, Fratton
774-1/10/176 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
FRATTON ROAD, Fratton
The Church Institute)
Church institute, then Victory radio station, now Portsmouth
Housing Association offices. 1899-1907. By Sir R Blomfield.
Red brick in Flemish bond. Steep plain tiled roof, stone coped
brick stack to right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 bays (1st bay blinded). Far right bay
projects and has stone rusticated quoins. At centre is a C20
2-leaf door, flanking pilasters, shaped brackets support flat
corniced hood, 2 narrow side casements all set under round
gauged brick arch with stone springers and keystone. To left
and to right are two 24-pane sashes, each set under flat
gauged brick arch with keystone. Prominent full height brick
piers on left quoin, between windows and between door and
window, each with hollowed stone coping; stone band and
projecting plinth below sill level. First floor has 5 16-pane
sashes each with segmental gauged brick head and set under
pier to pier segmental gauged brick arch. Far left bay is
blinded and has stone band on line of adjacent window arch
springers. Bracketed projecting eaves. Cupola at centre has
square rusticated base, circular window on each side with
heavy moulded surround, cornice, angled corners with Doric
columns and entablature, 12-pane casement on each side, copper
dome with finial. Far right projecting bay has 20-pane
circular window to first floor set within gauged brick
surround with keystone, stone band at centre of window level,
fascia hipped roof. Left return has facing stone coped gable,
acroteria at corners and apex, two 24-pane sashes and on first
floor a Venetian window within gable with Doric columns and
INTERIOR not inspected.
(Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 128 AND 129; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 442).
Listing NGR: SU6511600938
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings