This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7902 / 50°47'24"N
Longitude: -1.0932 / 1°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 464012
OS Northings: 99349
OS Grid: SZ640993
Mapcode National: GBR VQP.PW
Mapcode Global: FRA 87L0.3XD
Entry Name: India Arms
Listing Date: 15 April 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474672
Location: Southsea, Portsmouth, PO5
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Thomas
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southsea St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ6499 GREAT SOUTHSEA STREET, Southsea
774-1/13/349 (West side)
15/04/96 Nos.30 AND 32
Public house. North part 1902 by AE Cogswell; south part
formerly Fishmonger and Game shop 1900, which formed the
extension to the public house c1980. Red brick in Flemish
bond. Interlocking tiled roof, brick stack to left and right.
South part-painted and yellow brick in Flemish bond. Roof
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 + 2 bays. On right the north part has
at centre a wide canted timber transomed and mullioned
recessed pub front with fixed glazing, 3-lights wide at front
and 1-light to each side, lights divided by slim moulded
pilasters to transom level. Centre light has semicircular
broken head with ornate moulded spandrels. Each light has
etched patterned glass, painted brickwork below sill. To left
and right of bay set within recessed area is a 4-panelled
half-glazed door with overlight, etched patterned glass to
left door. Flanking wall within recess of each entrance has a
patterned tile mural with date 1902. Pilaster to quoins with
moulded cap. Fascia and dentilled cornice. First floor with
rusticated stone quoins has 2 canted tripart oriels each with
4-pane sash at front and narrow flanking sashes divided by
pilaster, flat roof, frieze and band cornice; semicircular
gauged brick arch with moulded hood and keystone, stuccoed
infill with leaf motif sculptured relief. Facing stone coped
brick half gable, brickwork and semicircular stone apex with
sculptured shell relief. Moulded stone copped brick parapet.
On left the south part has late C20 front infill with blinded
doorway and overlight at centre and to left and right a
shallow projecting canted casement with brick on edge below
sills. Flanking brick pilasters, each with heavy moulded leaf
motif capital and dentilled cap. Fascia and cornice. First
floor has 2 large recessed 4-pane unequal sashes each set
under flat gauged brick arch with moulded stone architrave.
Stone pilaster to quoins each with dentilled cap and fluted
shaft, base with semicircular shaped top. Moulded cornice,
stone parapet with moulded copping, small stone pediment over
each pilaster. At centre is a recessed stone pediment with
ball finial and date 1900.
INTERIOR: 2 tiled murals by Carters of Poole, 1 depicting a
game shooting scene and the other fishing boats and fishermen.
Listing NGR: SZ6400999349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings