This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N
Longitude: -2.0838 / 2°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 394332
OS Northings: 222937
OS Grid: SO943229
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.G0T
Mapcode Global: VH947.TDR0
Entry Name: Gates Piers and Wall to St Marys Cemetry Chapel
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474797
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NW HIGH STREET
630-1/8/417 (South side)
05/05/72 Gates, piers and wall to St Mary's
(Formerly Listed as:
Entrance gates to drive of St Mary's
Cemetery Chapel (Now Churchill
Also known as: Entrance gates and walls of Winston Churchill
Memorial Garden HIGH STREET.
Gates, gate piers, wall, end piers and wall to drive. c1831.
Pinkish-brown brick walls ashlar coping and stuccoed piers;
ornamental iron gates by Thomas Letheren (replaced those by RE
Marshall of Cheltenham). Gates have bars and scroll-headed
dog-bars; central upper panel of scroll-motif and surmounting
floral scroll, between ornamental iron piers. Coped walls
adjoining are approx 1.5m long and 2m high extend to tall
piers, square on plan with moulded capping. Coped walls to
drive are ramped down from piers and extend for approx 45m and
are 2m high.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The New Burying Ground was acquired in 1830
owing to over-crowding in the churchyard of St Mary's Church,
Church Street (qv). Letheren's gates were originally at the
entrance to Cypher's Nursery Gardens on Queen's Road and
replaced those by Marshall after WWII.
A significant streetscape feature, forming an integral part of
the setting of St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (qv).
(Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969:
92; Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: 1975-: 78).
Listing NGR: SO9433222937
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings