This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0082 / 51°0'29"N
Longitude: -4.5222 / 4°31'19"W
OS Eastings: 223152
OS Northings: 126226
OS Grid: SS231262
Mapcode National: GBR K3.JVL3
Mapcode Global: FRA 16FG.01G
Entry Name: Blegberry Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104470
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91184
Location: Hartland, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Hartland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hartland St Nectan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 22 NW
1/117 Blegberry Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Early C17 possibly 1627, considerably extended throughout later C17 -
early C19. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. 5 stone rubble stacks with
dripcourses and tapering caps - axial and gable-end. Rendered brick stack to gable
end of rear wing.
Plan: complex development of plan the original form of which is not entirely clear.
What appears to be the original longer, range runs north-south and was probably of
3-room plan (although somewhat altered now). There is no evidence of a passage but
the doorway into this range opens into a small lobby in front of an axial stack
(with a dated overmantle of 1627 on the first floor) serving 2 rooms; it is not
certain however, that this is the original entrance. In a rectangular projection
behind the right-hand room is a winder staircase. A long wing projects to the west
of the house with a stack dated 1634 on the outside - this may be deceptive though
since the stone could be re-used. A definite date cannot be described to this range
but it may also be C17. Further additions were made to the house at the right-hand
end and at the rear in the form of a small wing during probably the C18 and early
C19. The house underwent further remodelling in Victorian times. A description of
the plan of this house cannot omit mention of the defensive courtyard wall to its
south and west (q.v) which itself is dated 1606. The discrepancy in dates between
house and courtyard wall may not be of great significance since an overmantel could
easily be added and in fact an illustration of a plaster ceiling in the house now
destroyed (Chope, facing p.182) is more suggetive of a date around 1600.
Exterior: asymmetrical L-shaped 6-window front - 3:3 1st floor windows are all
gabled dormers with late C20 pvc sashes and a similar window on the ground floor to
the left. The larger north-south range has a C20 20-pane sash on the ground floor
to the right with a plank door to its left - these are in a recessed addition to the
main range. Large C20 3-light small-paned casement to their left. Small lean-to
porch against left end of main range has been continued as C20 conservatory around
front of wing, with glazed door. To the left of this wing the main range continues
with a C19 lean-to built against its front. Rear of main range has early C19 16-
pane sashes on 1st floor to right with a later 20-pane sash below. Wing projecting
to left of centre has a tall early C19 16-pane sash. Beyond the wing is the
rectangular stair projection at the rear of the main range. A probably C19 tall
stone rubble wall encloses a rear courtyard with a mounting block on its outer face.
Interior: most features date from C19 remodelling but there still survives a 1st
floor plaster overmantle with a date of 1627 and the initials WMA within a strapwork
surround. Adjoining it is a C17 door and doorway and two C18 doors also survive on
the first floor.
The Atkyns were one of the more important Hartland families and there were 2
consecutive Williams whose dates were 1578-1608 and 1599-1662. The first was
responsible for the courtyard walls and the second William for the plasterwork in
the house following his marriage to Margery Cliverdon of Titchberry in 1623. He is
also reputed to be responsible for building or rebuilding Marsland Manor in
Morwenstow parish (q.v.)
Sources: Studies in Building History: Cornish Houess 1400 - 1700 - E. M. Jope, The
Book of Holland - R. Pearse Chope.
Listing NGR: SS2315226226
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings