This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.977 / 50°58'37"N
Longitude: -4.5164 / 4°30'59"W
OS Eastings: 223437
OS Northings: 122743
OS Grid: SS234227
Mapcode National: GBR K3.LPPS
Mapcode Global: FRA 16FJ.G9H
Entry Name: Docton Mill
Listing Date: 23 December 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91189
Location: Hartland, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Hartland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hartland St Nectan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 22 SW HARTLAND
Former mill and mill-house. Some C17 fabric, mill probably enlarged in C19, the buildings were restored and the mill partly converted in 1980. Stone rubble walls, whitewashed to the house. Gable-ended natural slate roof. Rubble axial stack and smaller probably rebuilt one at left gable-end of house.
Plan: the house and mill are at right angles; the house to the west consists of 2 heated rooms but the gable-end stack to the left-hand room may be an insertion and the whole room could be an addition. The mill forms a cross-wing at the right-hand end of the house. Its top floor has been converted to accommodation but it retains its wheel on its right-hand wall. C20 extensions built at rear of mill.
Exterior: 2 storeys, mill 3 storeys L-shaped front with mill projecting at right- hand end. The house has an asymmetrical 2-window front of late C20 2-light casements apart from one of 4 lights on the ground floor to the right. The left- hand part of the house is taller. C20 gabled stone porch to left of centre with stable-type door. The mill has a door on its inner face with a C20 2-light casement above. On its front end wall the ground rises to a doorway on the top floor with glazed double doors. The right-hand wall of the mill retains the late C19 overshot iron wheel with a wooden launder leading to it. To the right on the top floor a balcony has been created during the recent restoration with glazed doors behind which have a small gable over. Large lean-to built against the rear wall of the mill - probably C19 but extended in the C20 with a small gabled C20 wing adjoining it.
Interior: C17 axial fireplace has chamfered and step-stopped wooden lintel. Wany roughly chamfered ceiling beam. Most of the mill machinery was removed earlier in the C20 and what survives was put in the late 1930's and comes from Newton St Petrock mill.
A Rate made in 1682 mentions Docton Mill at a value of o12.
Source: Corn and Fulling Mills - Notes of the Past - R Pearse Chope: Hartland Chronicle August 1909
Listing NGR: SS2343722743
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings