This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9845 / 50°59'4"N
Longitude: -4.4046 / 4°24'16"W
OS Eastings: 231318
OS Northings: 123316
OS Grid: SS313233
Mapcode National: GBR K8.L80G
Mapcode Global: FRA 16NH.XJ9
Entry Name: Clovelly Cross Filling Station
Listing Date: 19 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91166
Location: Clovelly, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Clovelly
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clovelly All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CLOVELLY CLOVELLY CROSS
SS 32 SW
5/97 Clovelly Cross Filling Station
Petrol filling station and station attendants house. 1930 by architects Orphoot and
Whiting of Bideford for Christine Hamlyn. Brick walls, all roughcast and
whitewashed, hipped and gabled slate roofs.
Plan: in 2 halves; to right the petrol filling area with a covered filling area (a
sort of port-clochere), flanking service rooms and shop at rear; to left the
station-attendants house; all in a loose Italianate style; "a model of its kind".
Exterior: covered filling area with a hipped roof with a bellcast, on front 2
narrow semi-circular headed archways which flank abroad central square-headed
opening, emphasised imposts, underneath these arches stood the original petrol
pumps, now replaced by those of the late C20; broad square-head opening on each
return through which vehicles enter; along the rear the shop and cash-register
area, this with a large replaced wood shop-front, flanking service rooms, hipped
roofs, to left with a plank door (oil stove), to right lavatories; attached to the
right the attendants house; single storey and attic, 2 coped verges to gables with
rendered stacks at their apexes, small gabled central dormer with a 2-light 12-pane
metal casement; 2 window openings on the ground floor, altered C20 3-light
casements, flanking a central door opening in a projecting porch with incurving side
walls, inserted altered late C20 outer door opening with small original corbels at
eaves level. Short section of wall to each side of the house, ramped down to end
piers with ball caps, a semi-circular head throughway to right, to left an inserted
2-light semi-circular head casement; leanto at rear; this formerly thought to be
an ornamental verandah.
Interior: not seen.
Source: Western Morning News and Mercury, Nov.22, 1930.
Listing NGR: SS3131823316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings