This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8367 / 50°50'11"N
Longitude: -4.1501 / 4°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 248696
OS Northings: 106328
OS Grid: SS486063
Mapcode National: GBR KM.WLGD
Mapcode Global: FRA 266W.F0R
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91066
Location: Sheepwash, Torridge, Devon, EX21
Civil Parish: Sheepwash
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SHEEPWASH EAST STREET, Sheepwash
SS 40 NE
7/91 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. Rebuilt 1880 - 1 and 1889 by Jb F. Gould and Webb of Barnstaple.
Coursed square slate stone walls. Gable-ended slate roof with crested ridge tiles
and stone coping to gables. Ashlar chimney stack to vestry.
Plan: nave, chancel, south porch and west tower with vestry at east end of nave.
Early English style. The old church was completely rebuilt in 1880 - 1 with a tower
added in 1889.
Exterior: 3 stage crenellated tower with crocketted pinnacles. No west doorway,
plate tracery style belfry lights and trefoil-headed lancet on west side with carved
headstops. Nave has windows of similar style to belfry openings. Chancel has
pointed lancets, its east window is of 3 stepped lights with trefoiled and
cinquefoiled heads and a recessed panel below which has a carved cross in high
relief. Vestry projects from east end of nave with small gablet and shoulderd head
doorway facing west. South porch has tall stone coped gable and low eaves, chamfered
4-centred arch with moulded imposts.
Interior: south doorway has a 2-centred arch with roll moulding. The original
decorative scheme survives complete and is in rich contrast to the church's fairly
simple exterior. The effect is achieved by colourful stencil work covering the roof
timbers to nave and chancel which are arch-braced collar beam and hammer beam roofs
respectively the latter with carved angels. The decorative effect is enhanced by
coloured floor tiles which are more ornate to the chancel. The chancel has a
sedilia and piscina in its south wall. Late C19 timber tower screen.
Good C12 cushion font whicn has foliage decoration carved only on one side and has a
Kelly's Directory: 1906.
Listing NGR: SS4869606328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings