History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church (Consecration Unknown)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Langtree, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9188 / 50°55'7"N

Longitude: -4.2049 / 4°12'17"W

OS Eastings: 245109

OS Northings: 115575

OS Grid: SS451155

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.QJKR

Mapcode Global: FRA 262P.3N6

Entry Name: Church (Consecration Unknown)

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 90993

Location: Langtree, Torridge, Devon, EX38

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Langtree

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Langtree

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Langtree

Listing Text

LANGTREE LANGTREE
SS 41 NE
2/19 Church (Consecration unknown)
-
4.10.60
GV II*
Parish Church. C15 to early C16, restored in 1865 - 6. Stone rubble walls. Gable-
ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, long chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The nave and
tower may be pre-Perpendicular but exhibit features mostly dating only to the C15.
The north aisle has late C15/early C16 windows but these may date from a remodelling
rather than rebuilding of the church. The restoration of 1865 - 6 included the
opening up of the tower arch, reseating and rebuilding of the south chancel wall.
C19 vestry added to north of chancel.
Exterior: 3-stage castellated west tower with short square pinnacles and corner
buttresses upto top of 1st stage. Pentagonal stair turret on south side. Late C19
inserted west doorway with shouldered head. Restored 3-light Perpendicular west
window. Blocked 2-light belfry opening. North aisle has blocked 2-centred arched
doorway at its west end. North aisle has blocked 2-centre arched doorway at its
west end. On its north face are 5 early C16 3-light stone mullion windows in
relatively original state. The 2 westernmost windows and that to the east have 2-
centred lights whereas the other 2 windows have cinquefoil lights - all have square
hoodmoulds. Perpendicular east window to aisle. Completely restored 4-light east
window in Decorated style. South wall of chancel also has 2 C19 windows with
cinquefoil heads. Restored Tudor arched priest's door between them. Nave has 3-
light partly restored early C16 window with 4-centred treads towards west end and C19
4-light C15 style mullion window towards east end. Gabled south porch with
chamfered round-arched rubble doorway and slate sundial in gable dated 1641.
Interior: possibly C14 red sandstone south doorway with 2-centred head and rebated
hollow chamfer.
6-bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with moulded cup capitals and 4-centred
arches with hollow and roll moulding. Very tall similar 2-centred tower arch which
fits awkwardly to the wall either side suggesting that some rebuilding has taken
place here.
The Old wagon roofs survive with simply moulded and chamfered ribs, carved bosses
and wall-plate, crenellated to the nave. Good 5-sided late C17 pulpit richly carved
with festoons and angel heads, acanthus leaves in frieze and bolection moulded
panels.
C15 octagonal granite font with panels carved in quatrefoils, crosses and other
religious emblems.
Royal Coat of Arms on north wall is, unusually in plaster relief with angel head in
pediment above, columns either side with stiff leaf capitals surmounted by obelisks
which have strapwork motifs in their pedestals - a curiously archaic design for
George I - whose arms are depicted - and George II whose name is recorded.
Good pedimented wall memorial of 1688 in north aisle to Abraham Bamfield Gent
incorporating marble panel with column either side. There are several C18 floor
memorials at the east end of the nave.
The 2 sanctuary chairs incorporate probably French C17 carved panels depicting
Christ bearing the cross and the descent from the cross. The altar also has a
carved wooden panel depicting Christ with the disciples at Emmaus.
Sources: White's Director 1878: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of
Torrington


Listing NGR: SS4510915575

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.