This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9058 / 50°54'20"N
Longitude: -3.9518 / 3°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 262863
OS Northings: 113626
OS Grid: SS628136
Mapcode National: GBR KW.R8P3
Mapcode Global: FRA 26MQ.087
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90809
Location: Ashreigney, Torridge, Devon, EX18
Civil Parish: Ashreigney
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashreigney St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 61 SW
6/18 Church of St James
Parish church. Mainly C15 probably incorporating some earlier fabric, restored in
1889-90. Rubble walls partly rendered. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle and porch, north transept with tower above it. The
church evidently has Norman origins judging from its font although the building
shows no evidence of Norman fabric. The position of the tower over the north
transept is unusual and probably indicates pre-Perpendicular building although most
of the detail is Perpendicular and the south aisle was added in this period. A very
comprehensive restoration was effected in 1889-90 with much of the window tracery
renewed, the arcade restored, the chancel extended and a vestry and organ chamber
built on the north side. The roofs were also restored.
Exterior: 3 stage tower set above north transept is castellated with obelisk finials
and set back buttresses. 2 centre arched north doorway of slate stone. Restored 2-
light window above with single light over that and simple slit for belfry. 3-light
Perpendicular window to west of tower has granite mullions and Beerstone tracery and
jambs. Vestry in angle with tower and chancel. Chancel has restored 2-light
Decorated style window on north side and 4-light restored east window. 2 end
buttresses to chancel. South aisle has granite Perpendicular window at its east
end. On its south side are two 3-light Perpendicular windows with C19 buttress
inbetween and segmental arched moulded priest's doorway. Similar Perpendicular
window to west of south porch and partially restored one at west end of aisle. The
west window to the nave has been totally restored. The south porch is probably a
completely C19 rebuild and is a gabled single storey structure with 2-centred
doorway and a cusped light on either side wall.
Interior: porch has rebuilt wagon roof retaining the old crenellated wall plate.
Richly moulded C15 2-centre arched south doorway with worn carved figures as
headstops and a similar stone figure set in the wall above. 4-bay arcade,
considerably restored with moulded piers and 4-centred arches. Rebuilt chancel
arch and plastered tower arch. Walls have C20 plaster. Old wagon roof over nave and
south aisle, partly restored with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Over the south
aisle and chapel under every 3rd rib is a carved angel corbel with armorial shields.
Late Norman or Early English square font cut away at the sides and resting on
octagonal base. C20 plaster to internal walls.
Royal court of arms of Queen Anne painted on wooden board above south doorway and
Listing NGR: SS6286313626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings