This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9513 / 50°57'4"N
Longitude: -4.1439 / 4°8'37"W
OS Eastings: 249505
OS Northings: 119065
OS Grid: SS495190
Mapcode National: GBR KM.N822
Mapcode Global: FRA 266L.HFY
Entry Name: 28, South Street
Listing Date: 3 April 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90518
Location: Great Torrington, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Great Torrington
Built-Up Area: Great Torrington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Great Torrington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1. SOUTH STREET
1735 (South Side)
ss 4919 1/74
Dated 1701, 2 storey, 5 window red brick front. String course. Heavy
eaves cornice with brackets. Roof has 3 pedimented dormers, the central
one segmental. Original lead down-pipe has enriched rain-water head with
initials "CGM" and date. Sash windows. Doorway has shell hood on modillion
brackets. Fine plaster work to under-side of hood consists of central cartouche
with grouped weapons surrounding it. This house is almost identical with
No 28 Bridgeland Street, Bideford, which Professor Richardson attributed
to Nathaniel Gascoyne (1695). The Bideford example has lost its original
doorway. Interior: one panelled front room to ground floor has exceedingly
fine ceiling. This has round centre panel with a group of musical instruments
in high relief. (cf Denham Place, Bucks, circa 1693). Foliage ornament
in quadrant panels. Otherwise the interior is cut about and altered.
All the listed buildings in South Street form a group.
Listing NGR: SS4950519065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings