This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6312 / 50°37'52"N
Longitude: -4.1856 / 4°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 245524
OS Northings: 83559
OS Grid: SX455835
Mapcode National: GBR NT.9JR0
Mapcode Global: FRA 273D.R5T
Entry Name: Coryton House
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92305
Location: Coryton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Coryton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 SE CORYTON CORYTON
7/59 Coryton House
House, formerly rectory. 1836 built for Richard Newman and partly financed by Thomas
Newman of Manhead. Dressed stone brought to course with ashlar quoins and dressings;
slate roofs, gabled at ends; tall rendered paired shafts in stone stacks. A
"handsome residence in the Elizabethan style" (White, 1890). Irregular plan under
steeply pitched 2-span roof, the rear (east) span projecting to the south. Circa
1940s single storey addition to the north side and porch added to the west front. 2
storeys and attic. 3-bay west front symmetrical and Georgian in character. Tudor in
detail. Slightly advanced central gable bay 1836 moulded stone doorway intact behind
1940s porch with parapet. 3-light stone mullioned window above doorway has leaded
panes, 1-light casement in stone architrave in gable, which is coped with kneelers.
To left and right of the gabled bay large projecting stone stacks with set offs, the
chimneys crowned by paired diagonally set shafts with moulded cornices. Some
ornamental chimney pots survive. The porch and the 1940s addition at the left also
have stone mullioned windows with leaded panes in keeping with the 1836 stone
mullioned windows throughout. At the rear 3 shafts at first floor level are
Interior: 1836 fittings intact throughout : stair, doors, cornices and fireplaces,
including fireplace with Gothic detail in the spandrels. 1 fireplace to ground
floor room front left replaced.
The Newman family (q.v. parish church) purchased the Coryton estate in 1809 and most
of the parish is still in their possession.
Listing NGR: SX4552483559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings