This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5962 / 50°35'46"N
Longitude: -4.2984 / 4°17'54"W
OS Eastings: 237428
OS Northings: 79908
OS Grid: SX374799
Mapcode National: GBR NN.CZQ0
Mapcode Global: FRA 17WH.H7P
Entry Name: Wrixhill
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92312
Location: Dunterton, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Dunterton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SW 37 NE DUNTERTON
Farmhouse. Probably with early C17 origins and lower end completely rebuilt.
Remodelled in circa C18. Painted stone rubble and cob. Steeply pitched asbestos
slate roof with gabled ends. Thatched until early 1980s. Rendered stacks on right-
hand gable end and axial stack to right of cross passage of lower entrance. Plan;
probably originally 3 rooms with cross passage. Original cross passage now lower
entrance. Lower end completely rebuilt circa early C19. Now barn. Upper end
remodelled. Main range now comprises 3 rooms with cross passage between former hall
and inner room. Dairy in outshut to rear.
2 storeys, regular 4-window front. Ground floor with wide plank door with glazed
light to lower entrance. To right, 2 C19 2-light casement with glazing bars flank
entrance with C20 gabled glazed porch. Above, four 2-light casements. 3 on right,
C19 with glazing bars. C20 window on left. To rear, evidence of at least 2 raisings
of eaves. Outshut beneath lean-to roof.
Barn adjoining on left-hand gable end, stone rubble with corrugated asbestos roof.
2 storeys. Shippon door on left beneath cambered lintel. Plank door on right with
partly boarded 2-light casement with glazing bars above. To rear, stone rubble steps
Interior of farmhouse. Left-hand room, probably once cross passage, with heavy
chamfered ceiling beams. Much C18 and C19 joinery including plank door with cover
moulds and strap hinges at top of stairs. Roof circa C18 with lapped and pegged
Name probably of Celtic origins. First known documentary reference in 1219. Appears
in Survey of Lord Dynham's lands in 1566. (Devon County Record Office).
Devon Sites and Monuments Register
Gover J.E.B. et al. The Place names of Devon, 1932, p 182.
Listing NGR: SX3742879908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings