This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6538 / 50°39'13"N
Longitude: -4.1952 / 4°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 244917
OS Northings: 86086
OS Grid: SX449860
Mapcode National: GBR NT.828J
Mapcode Global: FRA 273B.TP5
Entry Name: Coombe Trenchard
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92331
Location: Lewtrenchard, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Lewtrenchard
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 NW LEW TRENCHARD
3/84 Coombe Trenchard
House. 1906, designed by Sarel for Henry Sperling, contractors Dart and Francis of
Crediton. Partly stone rubble with granite dressings, partly clad with timber
framing, partly clad with weather boarding. 2-span pantile roof with hipped ends and
gabled bays, 5 tall brick shafts with moulded cornices, 1 on a projecting stone stack
with set-offs. Eclectic Vernacular Revival style with a free use of C17 features in
conjunction with an Italianate tower on the garden front and a rear loggia.
Irregular plan under a deep roof with gabled projections to the rear, left end and
front. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window garden front with central gabled projection
and a tower adjoining the front right corner. To the left of the front projection
the facade is clad with timber framing, the rest, including the tower is stone rubble
and granite. A recessed timber door on the front to the left of the projection is
under a long timber lintel. Windows throughout have square leaded panes: those to
the left of the projection are timber casements and include 1 ground floor transomed
window, those in the projection and on the right hand are granite mullioned windows
with 1 canted timber bay window to ground floor right, and 1 hipped attic dormer.
The 3-stage tower has lights with round-headed arches and raking angle buttresses
dying into the wall. The tower has 2 louvered slit windows facing the garden and the
top stage has lights with round-headed arches carried on colonettes. The main
entrance to the house is at the rear under a first floor projection carried on stone
columns with moulded plinths and bases forming a loggia under a canted bay and with
tile hanging above. To the left of the entrance are 3 slightly advanced timber frame
Interior not inspected but said to be complete and to have an interesting gallery
Coombe Trenchard was originally the site of the Rectory which had fallen into
dilapidation by the early C20 when Sabine Baring-Gould, squarson of Lew Trenchard,
sold it to Sperling and built a new rectory closer to the church. The Sperlings were
close friends of Baring-Gould and Henry Sperling financed the new pulpit in the
church of St Peter in 1900. Dart and Francis of Crediton worked on a number of
important buildings in Devon in the late C19/early C20 and were Caroe's chosen
contractors for church work in the county. A photograph of Coombe Trenchard, circa
1910, exists in the Dart and Francis office.
Bickford H.C. Dickinson, Sabine Baring-Gould (1970)
Dart and Francis
Devon C19 Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SX4491786086
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings