This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0975 / 51°5'51"N
Longitude: 0.4344 / 0°26'3"E
OS Eastings: 570551
OS Northings: 135953
OS Grid: TQ705359
Mapcode National: GBR NRX.2NF
Mapcode Global: FRA C6S7.51F
Entry Name: Gatehouse and Restored Early C20 Wall to Front Garden Wall (Attached)
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169607
Location: Goudhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Goudhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
GOUDHURST RISEDEN LANE
TQ 73 NW (east side)
Gatehouse and restored
9.6.52 early C20 wall to
House. C14, altered and extended C15 restored early C20. Timber framed and
exposed close-studding with plaster infill, with red brick and tile hanging to
return and rear elevations. Plain tiled roofs. Hall house with cross-wings.
Two storeys with jettied gabled wings to left and to right, with moulded bres-
summers and returned on dragon posts, with attached moulded shafts carrying
hollow chamfered brackets. Central hall bays recessed behind overhanging eaves
carried on bracket. Hipped main roof with stacks at end left, centre right and
end right. Six and eight light mullioned windows to gable 1st floor, with
blocked mullioned window and 3 light leaded mullioned window to centre left,
with 3 multi-light leaded mullioned windows to ground floor. Six light 2 storey
hall window to centre right with mullions and transoms, and depressed arched
heads to ground floor. Plank and stud door to centre left with raking hood.
C20 wing to rear left, recessed and carried over rear elevation. Interior:
great hall reopened to ceiling early C20 (by then owner Mr Edward Grinling).
Large central moulded and arched truss, braced to secondary parallel truss from
main posts to tie beam. The main central posts carrying this arch have massive
brackets, carrying the external eaves to front, with mortice holes to rear post,
possibly indicating an outshed origin for the hall. C15 inserted tie beam and
crown post over lower end of hall. Moulded heads for rear cross-passage doorway
survive. C20 turned baluster gallery across rear wall of hall. Large inserted
brick fireplace, with parlour door adjacent, the spandrels carved with images of
a Green Man and a Fool. Cross-wings with moulded ceiling beams, and short
unmoulded crown posts on hollow chamfered and cambered tie-beams, with
Bellersden marble fireplaces with strapwork and damask-style decoration, one
with 2 portrait medallions. The home originally of the Sabbe family, by C17
sold to cadet branch of Bothurst family (of nearby Finchcodes). For last 21
years of her life the home of Dame Edith Evans. A full account of the house is
in Country Life, 9 January 1937 (Arthur Oswald). Projecting from the left of
the house a red brick wall (probably C18), with dogtooth cornice, about 7 feet
high, and incorporating an arched boarded gate, ramped down to about 5 feet,
extending some 50 yards to the roadside, returned about the same distance along
Listing NGR: TQ7055135953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings