History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cliff Path Wall to Battery, East North East of Battery Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Clovelly Bay, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1729 / 51°10'22"N

Longitude: -4.6785 / 4°40'42"W

OS Eastings: 212853

OS Northings: 144928

OS Grid: SS128449

Mapcode National: GBR GTTL.9QS

Mapcode Global: VH2S3.VSJ7

Entry Name: Cliff Path Wall to Battery, East North East of Battery Cottages

Listing Date: 7 October 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91986

Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Town: Torridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lundy

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Blagberry

Listing Text

LUNDY

SS14SW BATTERY POINT
1938-0/2/13 Cliff Path Wall to Battery, East
North-East of Battery Cottages

II

Path walls to fog signal battery. Circa 1861 for Trinity
House. Granite rubble, dressed on corners with granite
rubble coping. Low walls on the outward sides of path which
zig-zag down cliff to the Fog Signal Battery (qv) and Battery
Cottages (qv). Some of the granite sets survive with gutters
to drain the surface water.

Note: The Old Lighthouse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above
sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to
solve the problem a fog signal battery was built on the
cliffs below. The installation included cottages for the
gunners and a magazine and integral privies reached from the
top of the cliff by this path with its walls. In 1878 Trinity
House substituted guncotton for the guns and in 1881 it was
even considered that the lower light of the Old Lighthouse
should be moved to the Battery. Bells, hooters and whistles
were also experimented with but The Old Lighthouse and
Battery were eventually abandoned in 1897 when the North and
South Lundy Lighthouses (qv) were built. (Lighthouses, their
Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and
R.Christie; Lundy:A and M Langham).


Listing NGR: SS1285344927

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.