This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1724 / 51°10'20"N
Longitude: -4.6799 / 4°40'47"W
OS Eastings: 212758
OS Northings: 144880
OS Grid: SS127448
Mapcode National: GBR GTTL.938
Mapcode Global: VH2S3.TSTL
Entry Name: Fog Signal Battery
Listing Date: 7 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91987
Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39
Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lundy
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS14SW BATTERY POINT
1938-0/2/10 Fog Signal Battery
Fog signal battery. Circa 1861 for Trinity House. Dressed
granite, gable-ended, now roofless. Small single cell
rectangular building on platform projecting from cliffs.
Exterior: One storey. Gable end facing sea has square
splayed gun- port and granite raking buttresses at the
corners. Sides each have a small square window, splayed on
the inside, and the side facing the cliff has a wide doorway.
All openings have granite lintels.
Interior: All openings in walls have wooden frames. Floor is
paved in brick and has granite tracks sloping down to
gun-port for gun-carriages. The 2 George IV 18-pounder
cannons are now situated outside flanking the battery on iron
Note: The Old Lighthouse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above
sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to
solve the problem a fog signal battery was built in circa
1861 on cliffs below. The installation included cottages for
the gunners (Battery Cottages qv) and a Magazine and Privies
(qv). In 1878 Trinity House substituted guncotton rockets
for the guns and in 1881 it was even considered that the
lower lights of the Old Lighthouse should be moved to the
Battery. Bells, hooters and whistles were also experimented
with but The Old Lighthouse and Battery were eventually
abandoned in 1897 when the North and South Lundy Lighthouses
(qv) were built. (Lighthouses, their Architecture, History
and Archaeology:D B Hague and R. Christie; Lundy:A and M
Listing NGR: SS1275844880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings