This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8801 / 50°52'48"N
Longitude: -4.4262 / 4°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 229414
OS Northings: 111765
OS Grid: SS294117
Mapcode National: GBR K7.SVZ5
Mapcode Global: FRA 16MS.1FS
Entry Name: Outbuilding, Formerly Chapel 25 Metres North East of Lower Alsworthy Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 December 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91909
Location: Bradworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Bradworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bradworthy St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
14-FEB-58 Outbuilding, Formerly Chapel 25 metres
north east of Lower Alsworthy
(Formerly listed as:
Chapel, now store. C15, subsequently much altered. Squared and coursed local stone, upper section cob, cement repairs, corrugated iron roof. Plan: 4-bay, single cell set into slope on north (rear elevation), entrance via blocked east window at first floor level and on south front at ground floor level. South front ground floor square headed opening with wooden lintel and plank door, probably C19/C20 on site of original opening. West gable end relieving arch of thin fieldstone, the head of the east window, tympanum filled with cob, wooden doorframe of indeterminate date. Interior: wooden wallplate running length of north wall, 2 and a half pairs of moulded arch-braced trusses, moulded collar purlins, bosses removed, apices renewed, 2 tiers of curved wind braces in south-east corner, evidence of some smoke blackening on original rafters. The east wall has splayed out and the unmoulded east face of the eastern-most truss was originally flush with the wall. Ground floor, only accessible in part at time of survey but appeared to contain corbels or brackets on east wall that originally flanked the east window. No evidence visible of the cill of this window. Blocked window opening partially visible on south wall. There are references to the chapel here in 1315 in the records of Torre abbey who held the advowson. To the north-west rises a spring which had a reputation as a Holy Well although its healing properties are unrecorded. (D.Seymour, Torre Abbey, 1977)
Listing NGR: SS2941411765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings