History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pair of Adjacent Alford Headstones Approximately 12 Metres South South East of the Chancel of the Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Giles in the Wood, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9512 / 50°57'4"N

Longitude: -4.089 / 4°5'20"W

OS Eastings: 253360

OS Northings: 118935

OS Grid: SS533189

Mapcode National: GBR KP.N9YK

Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.DV2

Entry Name: Pair of Adjacent Alford Headstones Approximately 12 Metres South South East of the Chancel of the Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 16 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91846

Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Great Torrington

Listing Text

ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 18 IN THE WOOD
18/235 Pair of adjacent Alford headstones
- approximately 12 metres south-south
east of the chancel of the Church
of St Giles

GV II

Pair of adjacent headstones. Both are C18 in memory of members of the Alford family.
Both are slate.
The eastern one is the earlier. It is square-headed and stands only approximately
150 millimetres high. On both sides the head is carved with a good winged cherubs
head flanked by scrolled decoration and the inscription is Roman serif upper and
lower case lettering. Most is buried but the name of John Alford shows on the east
side.
The western one has a shaped head and the front is carved with an incised frame
supported on columns. The first letter of the inscription is ornamental. The rest
is Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and records the death of Martha Alford
in 1758. The rear is inscribed in memory of John Alford (died 1793) in simple cusped
frame.


Listing NGR: SS5336018935

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.