This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9512 / 50°57'4"N
Longitude: -4.0885 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253395
OS Northings: 118936
OS Grid: SS533189
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB37
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.F0V
Entry Name: The Old Post House Including Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91865
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 18 IN THE WOOD
18/254 The Old Post House including front
House, forms Post Office and postmaster's house. Dated 1877 built for the Honourable
Mark George Kerr Rolle. Brown-coloured snecked local stone with decorative use of
cream and red brick (e.g. quoins of alternate cream and red brick); stone stacks with
brick chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: L-plan house. The front block faces east and has a 2-room plan with central
entrance hall. The left room has a rear lateral stack and its front is canted back
at 45 degrees. 1-room plan block projects to rear of the left end and has a
projecting gable-end stack. 2 storeys.
Exterior: Regular but not symmetrical 1:2 - window front. The windows have pointed
segmental arches of cream brick and sides of alternate cream and red brick quoins.
They contain original timber mullion-and-transom windows with glazing bars. The
first floor windows are gabled half dormers. Front doorway has a similar pointed
segmental arch and now contains a C20 panelled door. Cream brick platband at first
floor level. The canted bay is gabled and contains a sandstone plaque at the top
carved with Rolle arms and dated 1877. The gable has open shaped bargeboards and
there are similar versions to the half dormers. The roof of both blocks are gable-
Interior: not inspected.
A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclsoed by original cast iron railings;
plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gate in the
This house along with the Church of St Giles (q.v.) and most of the other houses in
the village were rebuilt by the Honourable Mark George Kerr Rolle shortly after the
rebuilding of Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now ruined.
Listing NGR: SS5327719008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings