History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ebberly House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Roborough, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9485 / 50°56'54"N

Longitude: -4.0446 / 4°2'40"W

OS Eastings: 256473

OS Northings: 118549

OS Grid: SS564185

Mapcode National: GBR KR.NH7H

Mapcode Global: FRA 26FL.L5B

Entry Name: Ebberly House

Listing Date: 16 January 1952

Last Amended: 16 February 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91782

Location: Roborough, Torridge, Devon, EX19

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Roborough

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Roborough St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Beaford

Listing Text

SS 51 NE RODBOROUGH EBBERLY

16.1.52 EBBERLY HOUSE

1905/8/166 II*

Country house. Rebuilt c1816 by Henry Hole, possibly to the designs of Thomas Lee; on the site of and possibly incorporating an earlier house. Stuccoed, probably stone rubble. Slate hipped roof behind parapets. Rendered stack with yellow clay pots. STYLE: a Neo-Classical style country house. PLAN: double depth plan with a central entrance, a wing behind the right hand end and a lower service wing at the back to the left. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 2:3:2 bay south front divided by giant pilasters, paired at each end and which support the entablature which has a moulded cornice and blocking course. Large early Cl9 16-pane sashes on the first floor and early Cl9 French windows on the ground floor with margin glazing bars and decorative wrought-iron balconettes. Doorway at the centre with glazed double doors and a large Doric stuccoed porch with 2 pairs of massive fluted columns supporting an entablature. The porch is now glazed. The main entablature continues around the left and right hand returns where there is a semi-circular bay at each end of the front with a French window on the first floor with an iron balcony. To the right of the east elevation there are sash windows with glazing bars. The rear elevation is asymmetrically fenestrated with sashes. Over the lower rear service wing a fine timber cupola, octagonal on plan with an ogee dome and finial. INTERIOR: appears to he very complete and has many interesting features, including a fine cantilevered staircase in a small oval well, intact joinery, plasterwork and chinineypieces, two of which are set under windows.
(Sources: Cherry B and Pevsner N: The Buildings of England: [2nd edition]: 1989: 351-:)

Listing NGR: SS5647318549

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.