This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9313 / 50°55'52"N
Longitude: -4.1487 / 4°8'55"W
OS Eastings: 249101
OS Northings: 116851
OS Grid: SS491168
Mapcode National: GBR KM.PLTH
Mapcode Global: FRA 266N.1K0
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91740
Location: Little Torrington, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Little Torrington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Little Torrington St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
LITTLE TORRINGTON LITTLE TORRINGTON
SS 41 NE
16/125 Church of St Giles
Parish church. C15, restored 1852-8 by Rev. George de. C. Guille the rector at that
time. Stone rubble walls, rendered to the tower. Gable ended slate roofs.
Plan: Nave, south aisle and porch, west tower. The church appears entirely
Perpendicular in style, and was heavily restored in 1852-8 when the chancel was
enlarged and the north and south walls partly rebuilt. The tower was restored in
1898 when its screen and new oak stalls were put in.
Exterior: 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses, castellated parapets with
obelisk finials. 2 light belfry openings with 4-centred arches. C15 4-centred
arched west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and inscribed scroll stops. Slits
for stair on north side of tower. North wall of nave has 3 Perpendicular 2 and 3-
light red sandstone windows. Gabled C19 vestry projects from north end of chancel.
3-light restored Perpendicular east windows with carved headstops. C15 style
cinquefoiled restored light on south chancel wall. South aisle has Perpendicular
style restored red sandstone windows. Gabled south porch with C15 4-centred arched
doorway with roll moulding and early C19 panelled doors.
Interior: Medieval wagon roof to porch with moulded ribs, carved bosses and wall-
plates. South doorway has 4-centred chamfered rubble arch with contemporary heavy
studded plank door with cover stips. Internal walls have C20 render apart from
stencil decoration to chancel walls.
4 bay arcade to Pevsner A-type piers with various religious devices carved on
capitals. Moulded 4-centred arches. Tall 4-centred double chamfered tower arch.
The pulpit dates from the restoration but incorporates older carving reputedly from
the old rood screen. Roofs have been entirely restored but copied from originals.
Norman front of subdivided cushion shape on C15 stem with colonnetes at corners.
Good memorial on north wall of white marble to Henry Stevens of Cross (q.v.) who died
1802. Above the inscribed plaque is a bas relief of a mourning woman in classical
robes leaning over a sarcophagas. There are various other early-mid C17 marble
memorials mainly to members of the Stevens family.
Sources: Kelly's Directory 1906 ; Churches in the Deanery of Torrington - Brixton
Listing NGR: SS4910116851
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings