This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9543 / 50°57'15"N
Longitude: -3.9996 / 3°59'58"W
OS Eastings: 259648
OS Northings: 119110
OS Grid: SS596191
Mapcode National: GBR KT.N2LK
Mapcode Global: FRA 26HL.CM6
Entry Name: Barn, Horse Engine House, Stable, Granary and Cartshed Approximately 20 Metres to South East of Dadlands Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91685
Location: High Bickington, Torridge, Devon, EX37
Civil Parish: High Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: High Bickington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 NE
8/69 Barn, horse-engine house, stable
- granary and cartshed approximately
20 metres to south-east of Dadlands
Barn with adjoining horse engine house, stable granary and cartshed. Circa 1840,
with minor later C19 alterations. Uncoursed stone rubble with gable-ended Welsh-
Roof: Long range, aligned approximately east-west, facing the farmyard to the north.
Barn to left with opposed cart entrances and horse engine house projecting to rear,
stable to centre, and granary and cartshed to right. The range appears to have been
built in to phases (see straight joint between barn and stable) although probably in
fairly quick succession. One storey, with stable of one storey and attic.
Exterior: Barn to left has large boarded double doors (right-hand one 2-leaf) with
strap hinges and shallow lean-to porch on stone piers. Four pigeon nesting holes
below eaves to right. Stable has boarded loft door and pair of ground-floor C20
metal windows (in old openings) flanking central boarded door with pegged wooden
frame and wooden lintel. Pairs of pigeon nesting holes below eaves to left and
right. Former granary to right has boarded door, approached by short flight of stone
steps. Three-bay cartshed at right-hand end of range, divided by wooden posts (left-
hand bay now garage with pair of large boarded doors).
Interior: Probably mid to late C19 six-bay barn roof with bolted scissor-braced
trusses. Interior of granary was not inspected at time of survey (December 1987) but
the owner reports a c.1840 date pencilled on the plaster walls.
These buildings form part of an early C19 planned farmstead, also including Dadlands
Listing NGR: SS5964819110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings