This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9788 / 50°58'43"N
Longitude: -3.9705 / 3°58'13"W
OS Eastings: 261764
OS Northings: 121778
OS Grid: SS617217
Mapcode National: GBR KV.LPYX
Mapcode Global: FRA 26KJ.BZM
Entry Name: Wiermarsh Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91704
Location: High Bickington, Torridge, Devon, EX37
Civil Parish: High Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: High Bickington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 62 SW
5/89 Wiermarsh Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably C16 or C17, remodelled (apparently largely rebuilt) probably in the mid - C19 and enlarged in 1879 (datestone). Snecked squared and coursed stone. Gable-ended roofs with scantle-slates. Stone lateral stack with C19 red-brick shaft, and C19 red-brick end and axial stacks. Large axial stack to wing has chamfered corners and toothed cornice to oversailing cap.
Plan and development: L-plan. Probable former 3-room and cross-/through-passage
plan, consisting of hall with external lateral stack to rear and probable former
passage to right of hall (with probably inserted C19 staircase), former service room at right-hand end with integral end stack and probable former inner room at left-hand end. Probably C19 continuous outshut to rear. Ground falls to right. An alternative interpretation of the plan would be as a C17 two-room central-entrance plan, the left-hand end room part of the 1879 wing. Large gabled wing (dated 1879) projecting to front at left-hand end, consisting of 2-room plan with axial stack. Two storeys with one-storey outshut.
Exterior: Old range has symmetrical front with 3 windows to first floor and 2 to
ground floor; mid to late C19 three-light small-paned wooden casements with wooden lintels and slate cills. Also small one-light first-floor wooden casement to left. Roughly central doorway with C19 nail-studded boarded door, beaded wooden frame and wooden lintel. Late C19 slate-roofed bracketed wooden porch supported on stone corbels with boarded soffit and chamfered scrolled barge boards to the verges. Lateral stack at rear has chamfered offsets to sides and offsets to brick shafts. C19 gabled projection at top of stairs to rear with 4-pane C19 sash. Gable end of left-hand front wing has ground- and first-floor C19 three-light small-paned wooden casements with dressed stone segmental-arched heads and slate cills. Raised chamfered datestone in gable: M.R. 1879.
Right-hand return front of wing has two C19 three-light small-paned wooden casements to each floor, with wooden lintels and slate cills.
Interior: Remodelled in the mid - to late C19. Only part of ground floor inspected at time of survey (December 1987). Hall (ground-floor room to left of entrance)has open stone fireplace to rear with wooden lintel and bread oven with C19 cast iron door. Late C18 wooden corner cupboard in left-hand rear corner with open front and dentil cornice. Front window with seat. C19 four-panelled doors.
Listing NGR: SS6180721765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings