This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8429 / 50°50'34"N
Longitude: -4.2437 / 4°14'37"W
OS Eastings: 242127
OS Northings: 107220
OS Grid: SS421072
Mapcode National: GBR KH.W6R4
Mapcode Global: FRA 260W.0JN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105088
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91583
Location: Bradford, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Bradford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bradford with Cookbury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 40 NW
6/29 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Norman origins with some C14 fabric extended in C15, restored in
1869 and during 1875 - 89. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, north aisle and chapel, west tower and south porch and vestry to north
of chancel. The earliest feature of the church is Norman south doorway. The
next recognizable building phase is C14 from which time the chancel dates or was
rebuilt. A major remodelling took place in the C15 when the north aisle was added
and the porch probably built. The tower was struck by lightning in 1550 and
rebuilt. The date of the vestry is uncertain since it incorporates C17 features but
these may have been re-used in the C19. Kelly's Directory records that the church
was restored in 1869 from a ruinous state and again during 1875 - 89 when the
chancel was rebuilt. The tower was restored and new pinnacles made in 1891.
Exterior: 2 stage unbuttressed west tower, crenellated with renewed obelisk
pinnacles terminating in crosses. West doorway has 2-centred arch and recessed
chamfer, arcned hoodmould above. Probably restored 2-light west window with
cinquefoiled heads and quatrefoil over. Belfry openings are of 2 lights with 4-
centred heads and hoodmoulds. West window of north aisle renewed in C20 in
Decorated style. Granite moulded north doorway with 4-centred head and hoodmould.
To its east is early C16 3-light granite mullion witn segmental heads and a
hoodmould. Beyond that is a C15 3-light mullion with ogee-headed lights and a
hoodmould. At the east end of the north wall is a C17 straight-headed 3-light
mullion. East end wall of aisle has 3-light granite Perpendicular window. The
vestry projects as a small wing from the north wall of the chancel with a cambered
head doorway on its east side and a C17 mullion window on its north wall. East
window is a C19 3-light restoration in the Decorated style. South wall of chancel
has 2 apparently early C14 unrestored windows. The nave has C19 2 and 3-light
Decorated style windows. Gabled C15 or C16 porch with stone coping and 4-centred
chamfered rubble arch.
Interior: porch has renewed open timber roof. Narrow Norman doorway with round
arcn to tympanum, dressed stone jambs and colonnette either side with carved
capitals. Internal walls are rendered. 5-bay granite arcade to north aisle of
Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals and the moulding continuing on the 4-
centred arches. Tall pointed rubble tower arch. The roofs have all been replaced
during restoration. Late C19 carved pulpit, choir stalls and benches. Medieval
Barnstaple floor tiles cover part of the nave and north chapel. Small Norman font
with fluted edge to bowl. In north chapel are 3 C16 floor memorial, one of 1599 to
Elizabeth Pomeroy, the others considerably worn.
On north wall is a marble obelisk shaped memorial to Arscott Bickford of Dunsland
who died 1771. Adjoining it is a large slate wall memorial to members of the
Bickford family who died at various times in the C18. Next to this is a good
memorial dated 1659, 1686, and 1662 to William Bickford, his wife Grace and Arthur
Ascott of Dunsford. It is slate with a Corinthian column either side surmounted by
a broken pediment with armorial shield at centre and winged angel's head below.
Beyond are 2 C19 marble memorials to the Heysetts of Baracott.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell: Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy;
Kelly's Directory 1906
Listing NGR: SS4212707220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings