This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9186 / 50°55'6"N
Longitude: -4.0774 / 4°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 254072
OS Northings: 115288
OS Grid: SS540152
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.QDWP
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BP.5BF
Entry Name: Abbot's Hill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91620
Location: Beaford, Torridge, Devon, EX19
Civil Parish: Beaford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Beaford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 NW
7/1 Abbot's Hill Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17, remodelled and enlarged in the late C18 or early C19. Some late C19
or early C20 alterations. Rendered, probably over cob and stone. Gable-ended C20
asbestos-slate roofs, hipped over bays. Slate roof over lean-to addition, with C20
bitumen covering. Rendered end stacks and lateral stack to rear, with C19 brick
Plan and development: Probable C17 three-room and through passage plan, facing east
(ground falls to right). Consisting of former hall with lateral stack to rear,
former through passage and service rooms to right with external end stack, and former
inner room to left with external end stack. A thorough late C18 or early C19
remodelling included the addition of full-height canted bays to the hall and service
end and the addition of the dairy outshut at the right-hand end. Large kitchen wing
at rear of right-hand end with end stack, probably also added in the early C19.
Interior also remodelled at the same time. Two storeys with one-storey outshut.
Exterior: The pair of c. 1800 full-height canted bays have triple sashes glazing
bars (12-pane to ground floor and 16-pane to first floor) with wooden cills and metal
beading at angles between. First-floor 12-pane (lower leaf of 4 x 2 panes and upper
leaf of 4 x 1 panes) glazing bar sash (probably early C20 replacement - see horns)
between bays and c.1800 first-floor 12-pane glazing bar sash (lower leaf of 4 x 2
panes and upper leaf of 4 x 1 panes) to left of left-hand bay. Recessed doorway
between bays has early C20 half-glazed door with leaded coloured glass. Half-glazed
door to left of left-hand bay with 2 lower side-beaded flush panels and 3 x 3 small
panes to upper part. Late C20 lean-to glazed porch. End stacks with chamfered
offsets. First-floor early C19 sixteen-pane glazing bar sash to right of right-hand
end stack. Former dairy at right-hand gable end has C19 boarded door to front and
paired C19 wooden casements to side. Right-hand side of rear wing has 2 first-floor
C20 two-light wooden casements and 2 ground-floor boxed 12-pane glazing bar sashes
(probably early c20). Former doorway at rear of left-hand end of central room (now
window) has chamfered wooden frame with mason's mitred joints and 4-part rectangular
Interior: Only ground-floor inspected at time of survey (December 1987). Late C18
or early C19 doors throughout, each with 6 raised and fielded panels. C17 chamfered
beam in with ogee stop in wall between former hall and inner room, chamfered on
right-hand (hall) side only.
The house is said to have been a manor of the Abbots of Hartland.
Listing NGR: SS5407215288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings