History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halsbury Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Parkham, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9753 / 50°58'30"N

Longitude: -4.2601 / 4°15'36"W

OS Eastings: 241428

OS Northings: 121969

OS Grid: SS414219

Mapcode National: GBR KG.LW1R

Mapcode Global: FRA 16ZJ.L5V

Entry Name: Halsbury Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Last Amended: 19 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105130

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91486

Location: Parkham, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Parkham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Parkham St James

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Buckland Brewer

Listing Text

PARKHAM
SS42SW
6/168 Halsbury Farmhouse
20.2.58 and attached
outbuilding (formerly
listed as Halsbury
Farmhouse)
GV. II
Farmhouse. 1659 datestone (reset) to wing on right; wing to left
altered in early C18. Coursed slatestone rubble; gabled asbestos
slate roof, with slate roof to rear; rendered stone ridge stack
to left; rendered stone rear lateral stack. L-plan with front
right wing: dwelling is contained within main wing to left, which
is of 3-unit plan with rear lateral stack to central parlour to
right of hall. 2 storeys; 5-window range. Late C19 six-panelled
(2 glazed) door set in mid C17 moulded wood architrave. Flat
stone arches over C20 windows to right, early/mid C18 twelve-pane
sash with thick glazing bars above door, and two early C19
six-pane sashes to left; timber lintel over late C19 horned
plate-glass sash to left. Wing projecting to front right, a
former outbuilding and now used as a cowhouse: left side wall has
doveholes, timber lintels over mid/late C19 three-light casements
in blocked doorway, timber lintel over C19 six-pane casement to
first floor on left; front wall, of 3-window range, has timber
lintel over C20 door, loft door above, C20 window to right and
blocked window; 2-storey projecting bay to right. Two C19
outshuts to rear. Interior of house, in range to left: mid C17
chamfered beams to ground-floor rooms on left and to centre, the
central room having a mid C17 plaster cornice; room to right has
mid C17 ovolo-moulded stone fireplace, mid C18 plaster cornice
and quatrefoil-shaped plaster panel to ceiling. First-floor has
mid C18 plaster cornice. Cl9 panelled doors: panelled doors with
fielded panels are mid C18, including door with C17 S-scroll
hinges opposite front door. Roof not inspected. Outbuilding to
right has chamfered beams, and C17 joists of large scantling to
projection on right.


Listing NGR: SS4142821969

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.