This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9843 / 50°59'3"N
Longitude: -4.128 / 4°7'40"W
OS Eastings: 250725
OS Northings: 122698
OS Grid: SS507226
Mapcode National: GBR KN.L62Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 267H.X7C
Entry Name: Huntshaw House
Listing Date: 19 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91432
Location: Huntshaw, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Huntshaw
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Huntshaw St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
8/115 Huntshaw House
Rectory, now house. C17 origins; rebuilt 1836 by Thomas Illman
of Bideford. Colourwashed stucco over coursed slatestone rubble;
hipped slate roof; rendered end stacks with moulded drip courses.
L-plan with front right wing. 2 storeys; 2-window range to each
front wall. C20 porch to left, to C20 doorway. Flat rendered
arches over 12-pane sashes and tall 15-pane sash lighting stairs.
Similar sashes to right side wall. C20 door to rear. Interior:
early C19 panelled shutters and doors; early C19 semi-circular
staircase with stick balusters, fret-cut brackets to open string
and wreathed handrail; early C19 marble fireplace to right. The
plan and other features of the present rectory suggest that it
represents a drastic remodelling of an older house. Illman
recorded that his rectory replaced one of stone and cob.
(Devon Record Office, Exeter, Faculty Petitions (No. 1 for
Huntshaw, has plans, elevations and reports by Illman).
Listing NGR: SS5072522698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings