History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cartref and Attached Smithy

A Grade II Listed Building in Monkleigh, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9655 / 50°57'55"N

Longitude: -4.2015 / 4°12'5"W

OS Eastings: 245505

OS Northings: 120756

OS Grid: SS455207

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.MKFN

Mapcode Global: FRA 262K.JYS

Entry Name: Cartref and Attached Smithy

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Last Amended: 19 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91456

Location: Monkleigh, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Monkleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Monkleigh St George

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Monkleigh

Listing Text

MONKLEIGH
SS4520
17/138 Cartref and attached
20.2.58 smithy (formerly
listed as Bell Inn
Cottage and Shop
premises immediately
East of Bell Inn)
GV. II
Two dwellings, now house. C17, extended to rear and left in
early C18; c. 1840 smithy attached to right. Colourwashed render
over stone and cob. Thatch roof, gabled to left and hipped to
right; C17 ridge stack finished in mid C19 brick; C17 left end
external stack finished in mid C19 brick to left. C17 one-unit
plan, extended by one unit to rear and one unit to left in early
C18. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Two C20 porches, positioned
left of centre and to right; C20 door to left, mid C19 plank door
to right. Flat rendered arches over late C19 two-light
casements. Late C19 outshut adjoins early C18 rear wing, which
has C18 two-light casement with leaded lights. Interior: room to
left has cyma-moulded bressummer over open fireplace and C19
quarter-turn stairs with winders. Room to right has C17 open
fireplace with stop-chamfered bressummer. Principal rafters of
A-frame trusses visible on first floor. Subsidiary features:
former smithy of c. 1840 attached to right, of colourwashed stone
with gabled slate roof; crested ridge tiles with iron ventilator;
two brick ridge stacks. One storey. C20 sliding door set in
double entry; late C19 six-light window to right. C19 plank
double doors to cartshed on right. Mid C19 outbuilding to rear
of brick with Welsh slate and corrugated iron roof.
(Beaford Centre, Photographic Archive No. 04220, for Photograph
of c. 1900).


Listing NGR: SS4550520756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.