History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Court Room

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatherleigh, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.822 / 50°49'19"N

Longitude: -4.0718 / 4°4'18"W

OS Eastings: 254167

OS Northings: 104545

OS Grid: SS541045

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.XGBP

Mapcode Global: FRA 26CX.MJY

Entry Name: The Old Court Room

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105252

English Heritage Legacy ID: 93168

Location: Hatherleigh, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Hatherleigh

Built-Up Area: Hatherleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Hatherleigh St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hatherleigh

Listing Text

HATHERLEIGH MARKET STREET, (north side),
SS 5404
Hatherleigh
11/60 No. 37 (The Old Court Room)
- II
GV

House. Probably C17 origins but much remodelled in early C19. Plastered walls.
Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: probably only part of the original house which must formerly have extended at
either or both ends. It now comprises a large room with through passage to its
right. C19 or C20 rear additions.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of early C19 16-pane sashes.
Contemporary reeded doorcase at right-hand end with dentilled cornice and panelled
reveals. Fielded 6-panel door.
Interior: the ground and first floors appear featureless although some may be
concealed. Surviving in the loft is an early C19 segmental plaster ceiling with
simple cornice moulding.
In the early moulding. was used as a meeting hall, established in 1821 as "the
Public Subscription rooms" and in 1853 became used as the court of Petty Sessions
with some cells being built on at the rear.
Source: A Oddie (present owner).


Listing NGR: SS5416604547

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.