This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8091 / 50°48'32"N
Longitude: -4.1617 / 4°9'41"W
OS Eastings: 247794
OS Northings: 103284
OS Grid: SS477032
Mapcode National: GBR KL.Y9KB
Mapcode Global: FRA 265Y.NHY
Entry Name: Burdon Grange
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93198
Location: Highampton, West Devon, Devon, EX21
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Highampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Highampton Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
35 40 SE
Manor House currently in use as residential home. Late C16 with early C19 addition
and extensive C20 additions. Partly rendered stone rubble walls. Hipped slate
roof. 2-brick axial stacks, one rendered.
Plan: complex evolution of plan, the original form of which is not entirely clear
although the oldest parts are evidently the 2 parallel rear wings. Probably the
front early C19 2-room block replaces an earlier range and it may well be that the
house was turned round to face the opposite way at this time. Various additions at
the rear comprise converted outbuilding ranges and later C20 extensions. Internally
the room arrangement has been considerably altered in the late C20.
Exterior: the early C19 front block has 2 windows and its left-hand side projects
with large early C19 16-pane sash on ground floor and later facsimile above. C19
6-panel door at centre with large 16-pane sashes to right and 3-pane sash above.
Left-hand side of C19 block has had C20 porch added. The 2 earlier wings extend
parallel to the rear and at the end of each on the ground floor is a 4-light granite
mullion window with square hoodmoulds, the right-hand one has the initials R.B.
A.B. and date 1596 carved in its 2 labels. Between the ends of the 2 wings is a
tall rubble wall enclosing a rear courtyard and with a granite 2-centred hollow and
roll-moulded arch at the centre. Projecting from the side of the right-hand wing is
a converted stable range with a further C20 addition to its rear.
Interior: some late C16 or early C17 panelling survives in the left-hand wing.
Left-hand room of C19 range has plaster ceiling band of running foliage design.
Listing NGR: SS4779403284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings