This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5807 / 50°34'50"N
Longitude: -4.1015 / 4°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 251313
OS Northings: 77773
OS Grid: SX513777
Mapcode National: GBR NY.DNBX
Mapcode Global: FRA 279J.MYQ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92816
Location: Peter Tavy, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Peter Tavy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
PETER TAVY PETER TAVY
SX 57 NW
9/84 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Probably C14 origin much rebuilt in C15, restored in the 1870's.
Granite rubble walls, tower and porch constructed of granite ashlar. Gable ended
slate roofs with coping stones.
Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, south transept and porch, west tower. The Church
may originally have been cruciform but heavily remodelled in C15 when a north
transept would have been absorbed into the new aisle and the west tower and south
3 stage crenellated tower with large polygonal pinnacles which are also crenellated
and crocketted. 2-light belfry openings with simple tracery. Moulded plinth.
Ornate west doorway of volcanic stone which is richly moulded with quatrefoils in
spandrels and square hoodmoud. 3-light west window has Perpendicualar tracery. The
north aisle has 5 windows, all 2-light with restored tracery except for the central
window which is circa late C15 and taller with cinquefoiled heads and square
hoodmould. East end of aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows with renewed
mullions. Chancel East window is restored in Perpendicular style. The south wall
has a C15 2-light window with cinquefoiled heads to the right and a reconstructed
C15 window to its left. In between is a granite 4-centre arched priests doorway.
In the angle with the South Transept is rood stair turret with a granite slit. The
transept has set-back buttresses and a very large 4-light granite Perpendicular
tracery with crude possibly mutilated tracery. To its left the south wall of nave
has a similar 3-light window with cinquefoiled heads as on the north aisle but its
mullions have been renewed. Gabled single storey south porch has 4-centre arched
moulded granite doorway with arched hoodmould above. The porch has a moulded
Interior: 4 bay granite arcade to north aisle of Pevsner A-type piers with moulded
capitals, double chamfered depressed 4-centred arches. Similar arch to transept
corbelled out from wall. Tall 4 centred tower arch with columns. Restored plaster
chancel arch. Roofs are all circa early C20, wagon roof over chancel.
The plain pews are late C19 and the other fittings are generally C20.
The font is C15 or C16, octagonal with carved panels.
On the north wall of the chancel is a good wall memorial of 1722 to Revd. Thomas
Pocock, rector of the parish.
2 sections of panelling from the rood screens are preserved and hung on the west
wall of the nave. 2 sections of a carved pew-front are preserved in the transept
dating from the early-mid C16 judging from the Renaissance motifs used in the
Despite alterations to its interior this church preserves a number of early windows
with a particularly good tower.
Listing NGR: SX5131177772
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings