This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5929 / 50°35'34"N
Longitude: -3.9013 / 3°54'4"W
OS Eastings: 265521
OS Northings: 78739
OS Grid: SX655787
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.K5LX
Mapcode Global: FRA 27QH.MXX
Entry Name: Penlee Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92751
Location: Dartmoor Forest, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Dartmoor Forest
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Widecombe-in-the-Moor St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 67 NE
12/18 Penlee Farmhouse
House. 1909-11 designed by Halsey Ricardo for Dr A B Rendel. Dressed granite
blocks of varying sizes to walls. Gable ended slate roof. 4 fall stacks of dressed
granite blocks, 2 axial, 1 at left gable end and 1 in small gable lateral to right-
Plan: L-shaped plan with smaller rear wing at right-hand end. Main block has
kitchen and service rooms to the right, entrance passage to right of centre with 2
principal rooms to the left. Staircase opening out of the right side of the
passage. The rear wing has 1 large reception room, reputedly formerly the music
Exterior: 2 storeys with attic. Asymmetrical 4-window front with 2-storey porch to
right of centre. To left of porch are 2 and 3-light original casements with leaded
lights on the first floor and decorative iron catches. To right of porch on ground
floor are 2 original 12-pane sashes with 2 later C20 casements to the right. 2
storeyed porch has 4-centred granite arched doorway with a 3-light granite mullioned
window to its right. 2 original 3-light casements above. At right gable end first
floor is corbelled. Wing extending to rear beyond it has gable at centre which
contains first floor 4-light granite mullion window adjoining chimney stack. Rear
facade has original sashes on ground floor and late C20 windows to first floor.
Rear elevation of wing originally had verandah which has had C20 conservatory built
Interior: Passage has 3 granite arches on right side, central one leads to framed
wooden staircase. Left-hand room has bolection moulded chimneypiece with surround
of de Morgan tiles. Principal room in wing has very large corbelled granite
fireplace. At the top of the left jamb is inscribed "Halsey Ricardo Archt. 1911".
The architect's original plans and drawings are preserved inside the house.
This house makes an interesting modern use of local vernacular building traditions
Listing NGR: SX6552178739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings