History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Venton Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckland Monachorum, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4843 / 50°29'3"N

Longitude: -4.1195 / 4°7'10"W

OS Eastings: 249732

OS Northings: 67086

OS Grid: SX497670

Mapcode National: GBR NX.LXBS

Mapcode Global: FRA 278S.0YH

Entry Name: Venton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92632

Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Buckland Monachorum

Listing Text

BUCKLAND MONACHORUM
SX 46 NE
3/40 Venton Farmhouse
-
GV II


Farmhouse. Probably late C16/early C17 altered in 1688 with C19 extension and C20
alterations. Rendered stone rubble walls with half-hipped asbestos slate roof. 2
rendered rubble axial stacks, left-hand one has drip-course.
3-room and through or cross passage plan with unheated lower room to the left. Hall
stack backs onto passage, axial inner room stack, probably inserted into formerly
unheated room. Outshut added behind lower room probably in 1688, the date of the
front plaque which refers to a remodelling. Rear parallel block built on probably
in the C19 flush with the outshut behind hall and inner room. Interior remodelled
in C20, plan relatively unaltered but original features obscured.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of circa mid C20 2-light wooden casements.
To left of centre is original 4-centred granite arched doorway, chamfered with worn
stops. Above it is carved granite plaque with date 1688 inscribed either side of a
carved heart with initials I.K. at centre and W above. Set back behind doorway is
C19 panelled and glazed door. At left-hand end is corbelled first floor chimney
stack, truncated at the roof apex. Late C17 outshut at rear of left-hand end has
single granite framed light on gable end. At rear the C19 addition extends to left
of outshut.
Interior: No early features visible, but some are likely to be concealed by later
alterations. Roof timbers not inspected.


Listing NGR: SX4973267086

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.