History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Well House Stone Pier and Rustic Seat in the Dairy Dell

A Grade II Listed Building in Milton Abbot, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5849 / 50°35'5"N

Longitude: -4.276 / 4°16'33"W

OS Eastings: 238970

OS Northings: 78601

OS Grid: SX389786

Mapcode National: GBR NP.DKGX

Mapcode Global: FRA 17XJ.CXZ

Entry Name: Well House Stone Pier and Rustic Seat in the Dairy Dell

Listing Date: 21 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105547

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92464

Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Milton Abbot

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Dunterton

Listing Text

SX 37 NE MILTON ABBOT ENDSLEIGH

9/222 Well-house stone pier and rustic
- seat in the Dairy Dell
21.3.67

GV II

Well-house pier and rustic seat forming a single Picturesque composition of 1810. The
well house is medieval, as is part of the masonry of the seat. The well-house was
moved from Leigh Barton (qv) to Endsleigh in circa 1810 by the 6th Duke of Bedford to
form part of the landscaped gardens designed by Humphry Repton. The internal masonry
is local ashlar and probably medieval, the rustic stone rubble exterior is probably
1810. The well-house and a gabled stone pier of similar size flank a rustic seat
which is a timber bench in front of a medieval stone slab with blind trefoil-headed
arcading. The well-house has a gabled stone slate roof. Small rectangular structure
with a rectangular opening with 1 moulded stone applied as a jamb which may not be
original to the well-house. The interior has a moulded stone corbel with a
decoration of blind pointed arcading. A cobbled drain leads from the well into the
pond in the Dairy Dell. A picturesquely irregular inscription panel in the gable
reads "This simple structure inclosed the holy well which served as a baptismal font
to the Abbots of Tavistock at their hunting seat at Leigh in this parish". The stone
pier has rustic stone rubble masonry and a gabled stone slate roof. Numerous pieces
of moulded and carved medieval masonry are scattered about the well-house and no
doubt originated at Leigh Barton.


Listing NGR: SX3897078601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.