This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6554 / 50°39'19"N
Longitude: -4.1691 / 4°10'8"W
OS Eastings: 246766
OS Northings: 86209
OS Grid: SX467862
Mapcode National: GBR NV.82XT
Mapcode Global: FRA 274B.RLH
Entry Name: Cross Shaft About 6 Metres West of the Dower House
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92340
Location: Lewtrenchard, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Lewtrenchard
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW MILL
4/93 Cross shaft about 6m west of the
- Dower House
Cross shaft. Circa C15. Granite. Shaft about 4 metres high erected between Lew
Mill and the Dower House by Sabine Baring-Gould who found it in the side of the mill
leat. Baring-Gould considered it to have been a Saxon standing stone. The Reverend
Sabine Baring-Gould (1834-1924) was both parson and squire at Lew Trenchard from 1881
until his death. He was an enthusiastic antiquarian with an especial interest in the
antiquities of Dartmoor and was President of the Devonshire Association in 1896.
Listing NGR: SX4676686209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings