This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.655 / 50°39'17"N
Longitude: -4.1881 / 4°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 245425
OS Northings: 86206
OS Grid: SX454862
Mapcode National: GBR NT.842M
Mapcode Global: FRA 273B.XW3
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92360
Location: Lewtrenchard, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Lewtrenchard
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD
4/114 The Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory. 1906, designed by Sabine Baring-Gould. Stone rubble, slate
hung to the first floor with a slate roof with sprocketted eaves gabled at ends.
Rendered stacks on ridge. Arts and Crafts style. Double depth plan with rear wing.
2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical. 5-bay front with deep coved eaves carried out
round a central 2-storey gabled porch with a swept slate canopy carried on timber
brackets. Pointed arched half-glazed front door in a chamfered stone architrave,
4-light casement, 6 panes per light above porch canopy. A glazed lean-to addition
with a slate roof to ground floor left. Ground floor windows right 3-light
casements, 8-panes per light. The first floor window to either side of the porch are
3-light casements, 6-panes per light. Long attic dormers each have 3-light
casements, 4-panes per light.
Interior Contemporary 6-panel doors, cornices and staircase with turned balusters.
1 Adam style chimneypiece said to have been brought from Lew House (now the Manor
Sabine Baring-Gould was both squire and parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881 until his
death in 1924. He was a High Churchman, antiquarian and prolific author of fiction
and theological works. In 1906 Coombe Trenchard (q.v.) was built on the site of the
former Rectory and Baring-Gould built this house closer to the parish church.
Listing NGR: SX4542586206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings