History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Buildings Complex Approximately 40 Metres North North West of Stone Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridestowe, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6814 / 50°40'52"N

Longitude: -4.1191 / 4°7'8"W

OS Eastings: 250386

OS Northings: 88997

OS Grid: SX503889

Mapcode National: GBR NX.6HS8

Mapcode Global: FRA 2788.M2X

Entry Name: Farm Buildings Complex Approximately 40 Metres North North West of Stone Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105601

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94311

Location: Bridestowe, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Bridestowe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bridestowe

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bridestowe

Listing Text

BRIDESTOWE
SX 58 NW

12/68 Farm buildings complex
- approximately 40 metres north-
north-west of Stone Farmhouse

GV II

Complex of farm buildings which are said to comprise saw mill and carpenter's shop,
steam engine house, threshing barn, hay/straw barn and shippon. Dated 1856. Local
stone rubble walls with granite quoins and dressings. Gable-ended corrugated iron
roof.
These buildings were designed as an integral unit. According to the farmer the
left-hand buildings had a saw mill on the ground floor (the pit has since been
filled in) with a carpenter's shop above. Adjoining to its right was the engine
house which housed the steam engine at the rear and an adjoining chimney at the
back. Beyond this was the threshing barn to the far side of which was a hay or
straw barn which had a cattle shelter on the ground floor. To the rear of this was
a row of shippons. The range is situated facing a farmyard at the back of Stone
Farmhous (q.v).
2 storeys apart from the engine house and shippons which are single storey. The
principal front of the buildings face the rear of the farmhouse with their gable
ends of varying height. To the left is the saw mill/carpenters shop which has 2
identical sized large openings, one above the other. To the right is the lower
engine house which has a wide entrance with a narrower doorway to its right. The
adjoining threshing barn has a wide central cart entrance with flanking tall window
openings. Datestone of 1856 above. There is a slightly awkward joint with the
hay/straw barn to its right which has a single large central opening. The farm
buildings continue in a row on to the rear of this barn as shippons.
Interior: Original fittings and machinery have been removed. The buildings form
part of a relatively unaltered C19 estate farm and there are few other steam engine
houses surviving in Devon.


Listing NGR: SX5038688997

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.