This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7517 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -1.2519 / 1°15'6"W
OS Eastings: 451735
OS Northings: 206154
OS Grid: SP517061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.29J
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.870H
Entry Name: Tennis Court
Listing Date: 27 November 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245606
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SE 9/357A 27.11.63.
The court is shown on this site in a map dated 1675 although in its present
form it was probably rebuilt about 1798. The ancient game of Tennis has
always been closely connected with Oxford and is first mentioned there
in 1508. This is the only remaining court in Oxford still in use. Built of
stone with roof. Altered circa 1970. There are no datable architectural
features on the exterior except a flat chamfered stone arched doorway, and
that together with the interior passage for spectators which has an open
arcaded side of simple woodwork with small classical columns, may well date
The tennis court belongs to Merton College who rent it to the Tennis Club.
All the listed buildings in Kybald Street form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5173506154
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings