This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3523 / 51°21'8"N
Longitude: -1.419 / 1°25'8"W
OS Eastings: 440554
OS Northings: 161632
OS Grid: SU405616
Mapcode National: GBR 713.21Z
Mapcode Global: VHC27.C85N
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354782
Location: East Woodhay, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG20
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: East Woodhay
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: East Woodhay St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
The following building shall be added:
SU46SW The Old Rectory
Rectory; now a private house. Circa 1828, possibly by Richard Billing II, of Billing and Son
of Reading, who rebuilt the Parish church in 1823. Red brick in Flemish bond with stone
dressings. Plain tiled hipped roof behind parapet. Brick axial stacks with triple shafts and
yellow clay pots. PLAN: double-depth plan with cental entrance at front and short wing
projecting at rear of left [SW] side, possibly a truncated service wing. Tudor/Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 3-bay south east front: symmetrical but for canted bay window on
ground floor left. Moulded stone weathering to plinth and parapet with stone coping and
moulded stone cornice; windows in chamfered stone frames with hoodmoulds.2-light sashes,
each with 8 panes and 4 centered arch heads; similiar but larger 3 light sash on right of
ground floor and canted bay window on left with same sashes. Centre recessed porch in
slight projection with moulded stone cornice and weathering and moulded stone 4 centred
arch with cusped spandrels and label; Tudor arch half glazed double doors set back inside
porch. The other elevations have similar fenestration. Right [NE] side: 2 bays, right hand
bay breaks foreward and has large stuccoed canted bay window. Rear [NW] 1:3 bays, the
left breaks forward and has gable with recessed cross. South west side has short gabled wing
on left [possibly truncated service wing] and porch in the angle. INTERIOR not inspected.
INCLUDING Small single storey circa early C19 stables and coach house immediately south
west and facing each other across a small courtyard; brick with tiled roofs; stables have
hipped roof, axial stack and gabled midstrey at centre with double doors and at SE end
centre plank door flanked by 8 pane windows; coach house has gable-ended roof with stone
kneelers, 2 double doors on left, blind window on right and 2 light sash with glazing bars
on SE end;
interiors not inspected.
Listing NGR: SU4180861094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings