This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5412 / 50°32'28"N
Longitude: -4.2245 / 4°13'28"W
OS Eastings: 242473
OS Northings: 73628
OS Grid: SX424736
Mapcode National: GBR NS.H6QB
Mapcode Global: FRA 271M.N1T
Entry Name: Woodland View
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94056
Location: Gulworthy, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Gulworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
TAVISTOCK HAMLETS DEVON GREAT CONSOLS
SX 47 SW
- Woodland View
Mine captain's house, now house. c 1850-60, with some later alterations. Rubble
slate-hung and painted, 2-span slate roof with brick gable stacks to front range,
further rear range with hipped roof, 3 parallel ranges, front range has central
passage with room right and left, middle range with central staircase.
2 storeys and 3 windows, 12-pane sashes with voussoirs at first floor, 16-pane sashes
with voussoirs at ground floor, fine central porch with double doors, half-glazed
with diamond glazing and margin glazing, panelled lower part, fluted pilasters with
plain capitals to each side, 6-pane light with margin glazing to right and left side,
frieze with roundels, triglyphs and guttae, dentil cornice. Left return has first
range rendered, large stepped external stack; second range colourwashed with single
storey C20 glazed porch, inner door with 9 panes to upper part, 2-panelled lower
part, 16-pane sash with cambered brick head at ground and first floor left; third
range all slate-hung, middle range has ground floor 2-light 8-pane casement, possibly
formerly door, 20-pane sash at ground and first floor; rear range has glazed door
with sidelight and overlight, 16-pane sash at first floor, the rear range being lower
than the front 2 ranges.
Interior front right room has C20 fireplace, formerly with slate pilasters, to each
side panelled cupboards with fluted pilasters, panelled doors to front rooms, central
passage has inner door with 3 panels, Greek key decoration on upper and lower panel;
front left room has C20 fireplace with cupboards to sides, cupboards have doors with
6-pane light and margin glazing, tiered shelves. Middle range has central staircase,
dog-leg, with wreathed handrail and stick balusters, dado panelling.
Devon Great Consols Mine was opened in 1844.
(Sources: Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley).
Listing NGR: SX4247373628
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings