This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5339 / 50°32'2"N
Longitude: -4.1563 / 4°9'22"W
OS Eastings: 247277
OS Northings: 72680
OS Grid: SX472726
Mapcode National: GBR NW.HL7C
Mapcode Global: FRA 275N.BL0
Entry Name: Group of Farm Buildings Including Range of Stabling with Attatched Cattle Shed, Dung Pit and Bank with Attached Cart Shed About 20m West of Crowndale
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94023
Location: Tavistock, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Tavistock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 47 SE
6/123 Group of farm buildings including
- range of stabling with attached
cattle shed, dungpit and bank with
attached cart shed about 20m west
Range of stabling with attached cattle shed, dung pit and barn with attached cart
shed. Mid C19 with addition to cart shed dated 1885. Granite and slatestone rubble
with slate roofs. Stable range to west with cattle shed attached to east, barn to
south with cart shed attached to north; buildings enclose farmyard with triangular
dung pit in centre.
Stabling has 2-storey central gable end fronted bay with central door and upper
loading door, with splayed stone heads, 5-bay single-storey range to left and right,
each with 5 doors. Range extended to front right in L-plan by single-storey wing
with door and upper door under eaves, with grindstone set in front wall; further
extended by 6-bay open-fronted cattle shed with granite piers, infilled with rubble
and with corrugated iron roof, end wall collapsed.
Barn has gable to front left with cart entry with stone segmental head, loading door
above with granite cill and lintel, small blocked opening over, large quoins; to
right barn has door and 2 windows at ground floor, 7 ventilation slits under eaves.
Attached to front left in L-plan, an open-front cart shed of 10 bays, 2 central bays
closed, bays right and left with square granite piers, brick repairs to quoins and
gable end dated 1885. Gable end of barn to right has 3 lower and one upper
ventilation slit, rear at higher ground level with rear wing with ventilation slits
and outshut to left.
Interiors not accessible, but said to have crown post roofs throughout.
Triangular shaped dung pit in centre of yard, built on slope of ground, has rubble
walls with granite copings, walls about 1½ metres high at lower side, rising with
slope of ground to about 5 metres high at upper side, about 15 metres long east 3
west and about 35 metres north/south, with 3-gate openings at upper level and one
gateway at lower end with plain granite piers.
This Estabte farmstead, with its open dung-pit, forms interesting comparison with the
much more sophisticated type at Kilworthy House (qv), (also part of the Duke of
Bedford's Estate) where the cattle sheds are built over the dung-pit.
Listing NGR: SX4727772680
Other nearby listed buildings