This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5724 / 50°34'20"N
Longitude: -4.1886 / 4°11'18"W
OS Eastings: 245121
OS Northings: 77028
OS Grid: SX451770
Mapcode National: GBR NT.F9Z4
Mapcode Global: FRA 273K.B0C
Entry Name: Ye Olde Priest's House
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93954
Location: Lamerton, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Lamerton
Built-Up Area: Lamerton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 47 NE
3/58 Ye Olde Priest's House
Church house, now called priest's house. C13 origin, rebuilt late C16 reusing
earlier materials, restoration of 1934 dated on front. Mixed slatestone random
rubble with granite and greenstone dressings and quoins, slate roof with raised coped
verges and gable stack to left.
Single-room plan with central entrance, heated by left-hand gable end fireplace, now
divided by brick partition to right of entrance. Entrance to upper room at higher
ground level to rear.
2 storeys, with upper room at ground level with the churchyard of Church of St Peter
(qv) to north; central tall 4-centred arched door opening, chamfered, with rebuilt
lower jamb to right, C20 door with studs and strap hinges, narrow single light to
left with rough-cut surround, square single light to right, 2 raking dormers, all
with C20 leaded lights. Right return has small rectangular opening with timber
lintel to lower right, shuttered, in gable end a 2-light stone mullioned window with
3-centred arched heads, hollow-chamfered with hood-mould, iron lattice and similar
glazing. Rear has raking dormer over door to upper room with large irregular stone
jambs, C20 studded door, stack encroached by adjoining building to right.
Interior ground floor originally one room, now with brick partition to right,
fireplace has flat stone lintel, chamfered corbel to right with pyramid stops,
straight stone jamb, left side not visible, blocked by C20 partition, C20 flooring
and roof to upper level.
(Sources: Copeland, G.W.: Devonshire Church-houses in Trans. Dev. Assoc. vol. XCII
Listing NGR: SX4512177028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings